Eid-ul-Adha, “The salty eid”, is the most beloved occasion for all the Muslim food lovers around the globe. The main focus of this Eid is the distribution of meat and gatherings in which families prepare and share the dishes made of meat. Red meat is the most preferred food source on this occasion which includes mutton, beef, lamb and organs of slaughtered animals. It is a rich source for protein, iron, zinc and vitamins like B6 and B12.
Why knowledge for correct portion is essential?
To maintain a healthy weight, enhance your digestion and regulate your blood sugar levels, knowledge of the correct portion is necessary because meat contains a high amount of saturated fats which increase the blood cholesterol levels and lead to harmful diseases like cardiovascular diseases, cancer, stroke, and obesity.
The meat consumption on eid should be enough to achieve the daily recommendation of protein which is a macronutrient and helps in building muscle and skin. According to the USDA dietary guidelines, 2-3 ounces of cooked lean meat per meal (at lunch or dinner) is recommended for healthy individuals, which is about the size of a deck of playing card or equals to size of one palm.
Furthermore, an ounce of cooked meat gives us a good amount of protein, about 7-8 grams. The correct portion of eating a meat is very necessary because the overeating impact is harmful and causes serious health consequences like stomach acidity, gastroenteritis, kidney and liver diseases, stomach ulcers and Cardiovascular diseases (CVD’s),
- Tips for healthier meat consumption and enhance the absorption of iron:
- Combine the meat dishes with fresh salads and lemonade which enhances digestion of meat and absorption of iron due to presence of the Vitamin C.
- Do not rely on meat completely! Cover all five food groups; grains, fruits, vegetables, proteins and dairy, for a balanced diet throughout an active day.
- Remove the additional visible fat over meat and make it lean and healthier, as much as possible.
- As meat already has a lot of fat; avoid additional oils and fats when cooking and instead use calorie control cooking methods like grilling, barbecuing or steaming.
- Use low fat yogurt along with the meat as it helps in lowering down its acidic effects.
To make your Eid healthier, the information about the correct portion size and tips will help you to make healthy choices because an excess of everything is harmful to health.
Dow University of Health Sciences